History of the school
Szent László Gimnázium was founded in
1907, under the name ‘Main
Grammar School of the
Tenth District’. At that time, it
had 119 students in three classes.
The first school-leaving exams took place in 1914, and the school moved to its
present location, to a brand new building in 1915.
In 1921, the school was renamed
after the great Hungarian king,
and the standard of teaching began to rise year by year.
The Second World War
disrupted the operation of the school.
The 1943-44 academic year came to an end on 31 March, and the building
was then used first by the German and then by the Soviet army.
Several teachers and students went to fight in the war, and many of them
Instruction was resumed in
September 1944. Difficult though
this school year was, school-leaving exams were held the following spring.
This was the first academic year when female students and female teachers
were admitted. Everybody contributed
in some way to the reconstruction of the building, and the school was more or
less back to normal by 1946.
Standards began to rise
again, and soon the school became one of the best in Budapest. Specialised classes started in 1958,
first in languages, then, after 1965, in the sciences and in art.
Szent László Gimnázium became a UNESCO-associated school in 1967.
That is when school life became ‘more international’: relationships with
foreign schools were established, student exchange programmes and meetings for
teachers and students were first organised.
By the time the first Italian-Hungarian
bilingual class was established in 1988, the school was already renowned for its
high standards in the teaching of Italian.
In these bilingual classes, students have two or three times more
language classes than the students in the other specialised classes, and they
also study certain subjects in Italian.
The school building was
renovated and modernised from top to bottom during the 1990s.
New classrooms were added, old classrooms were refurbished and tailored
to teachers’ and students’ needs, a new, second gymnasium was built and the
school’s courtyard was renovated and improved.
In 2003, Szent László Gimnázium was
among the first schools in Hungary to take part in the ‘nyelvi
előkészítő osztály’ ('YILL' - Year of Intensive
Language Learning’) programme.
That is when the E (sciences) class became a
5-year class in which students focus heavily on English in the first year. The
following year, the F (media and computer studies)
class followed suit.
The school participated in EU-funded
projects to improve social mobility (TÁMOP).